0

Start of something new.....

Posted by Qi... on 02:26
Ok, I joined the debate club.

Honestly I have always wanted to try, but erm…you know la, you really need courage to start the first step and keep it on.

I like the atmosphere in the club. How they been so encouraging to newbie that totally don’t know anything like me and guided us so well. I mean, they could always point out something good in you although you feel like you are just crapping pointlessly. Regardless of course and ages, they mixed up so well without barrier. I enjoy the view of it and may one day I will become one of them.    

I really learned a lot of things. Debate is really about effective communication. It is not about what you say, what is in your head but what other people heard from you. It is not only blurting out everything, but you have to mention it in a way that your argument will penetrate into their brain and let them nod with you. Well, that is exactly what I need to learn. The main reason I joined debate is how we get “advice” from lecturers that we seriously need EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION, which I’m still trying to pick it up. I guess that is an art which require a lifetime to master.

I heard a senior mentioned the most fascinating element in debate is you can turn the whole world upside down. Things that are right could be wrong. Nothing is definite. Now I agree with her. You began to see the world in a whole new and wider perspective. Personally you think that A is totally wrong and sinful, but in a debate you are going to suggest a proposal to legalize it. You really have to persuade yourself before you could stand in front and try to get vote from others. That was hardest part for and I found that fun.    

My classmate tried to stop me from joining this club and competition. She was right, we don’t even have time to study for all those things yet I have to read up on heavy issue like Utilitarian, ICC blah blah blah that sound like issues from outer planet and spent so much time on practice. Although I need to invest lots of time, I like what I learned in debate team. Economy, rights, international issue, these are what I felt a university student should know. I don’t want to bury myself in anatomy and linguistic. Yes, I have to juggle my time between classes, debate, assignments and other curriculum activities, but I like the feeling of filling my brain with useful stuff.

Last weekend, I went for the training simply because I wanted to learn more. No other purpose. It was indeed a big surprise that I am elected as one of the member in junior team for unknown reason. I know that I am really fresh junior that needs a huge brush up process before I could hit the bar. There are people that are way better than me. I really appreciate the fact that they gave me this opportunity to try. Unfortunately I screwed up in the last practice and I don’t know whether I would disappoint senior that put faith on me.

Wish me good luck this Friday. ^^

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Eternal flight from myself to myself All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.