0

It gets better

Posted by Qi... on 11:38
Today, my patient asked me “when can I talk again?"
Last week, he told me "When can I talk like normal", as in before stroke and then he started sobbing
Every time he expressed such view
Every time a patient try to hold his tears in my session
I was stupefied, struck by his helplessness, and also mine

To be honest, there is nothing much I can do to help him.
Once a friend told me, the only thing you can do for them, is to make them happy.
Nothing much we can do to improve their skills
I really hate to admit this considering the things that we are doing, and we claimed to be able to do.
But in the end, I still cant find much point to rebut him.

Sometimes, I had to admit
Our effort in therapy dwarfed under the impact of the stroke
They lost their ability to speak properly over a night
Are you expecting this old man to cheer because he can name objects clearly when all he remember was how fluent he can speak and all the stories he want to share?
He wanted so much more and what we worked at seems so trivial to him
When we are trying to pat his shoulder and say these are baby steps, be patient, it takes times
I felt like my words are so powerless
Just like it is useless for someone to say any comforting words after your loved one passed away

But as lame as it sounds,
All we need is time
It takes time for them to really accept everything that is going on
And it also takes time for me to really learn to be a pro, so I can do more and do better
I believe if we are all moving in one direction, we can at least make some improvement along the way :)
I need to believe so, isn't it?
Or else what am I doing here

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Eternal flight from myself to myself All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.