0

No more class debate

Posted by Qi... on 03:47

Finally the debate session ends.
Get rid of this mess, at last
Phew, conducting a debate session for these people with zero experience in debate is mentally exhausting
Luckily I have a bunch of talented, smart classmates that are well-trained in presenting :p
This just makes things easier
I keep wondering, how should I modify the format to make it simpler
and how to let them understand the whole flow
not to mention asking them to stand at the podium and present their arguments
Thank God I did a rehearsal, hehe
That's why things go so smooth today
Proud of you all guys :)


I was actually little worried.
Cause it seems like I'm the one pushing all the way
and seeing some group haven't prepare much on the day before
kinda freaks me out
But I just love how they surprise me in many ways
Or did I underestimate them >.< I'm sorry if I did
And I even spot some ready talent for our dying Debate Club! Yay!
And I really like the intellectual discourse that's going on
although its still more on reading script,
quoting research XX,1990 blah blah
but that was informative
Everything we talked about is soft knowledge
but its something we don't touch unless we are forced :p
Then you'll see there is a huge range of research going on everywhere about basically everything

So we talked about innateness of stereotype and prejudice
and second one about gender difference in reasoning abilities
Still can't get why I suggest this in the first place and why they voted these 2 in
But very basic Nature vs. Nurture debate
Our lecturer was curious about the stereotype motion and wonder if it is related to the election
Haha, honest answer is yes.
I'm kinda surprise she saw through it,
I actually searched about Racism(After Najib ask what we want kan)
and found this whole bunch of studies on how racism is pre-wired
We human show fear( know by testing activity in amygdala) when there are other races

I think it is something natural and sort of biological instinct,
you stick with your own group, be it race, gender etc
for protection and support
We do have prejudice, innately, 
and unconsciously as many would regard themselves as color blind in terms of race
But there are this thing called Implicit Bias, which is proven under the Implicit study @ Harvard
Try out the test yourself! :)
Some recommended reading: 
I like how one scholar concluded, 
this finding did not justify nor tell us racism is deeply-rooted that its immovable
but make us clear about the pathway,
and how it could be changed or reversed
and study have shown awareness training with the Implicit Study could reduce the bias
So the point is we must have awareness,
with this awareness we can consciously counter the effect of the innateness
and make a rational, fair and just decision

That's all about neuroscience :P
Just so glad that there is no long pause, stuttering, ran off the stage scene that I dreaded :p 
Sorry my imagination kinda strong
and we have a lively debate as everyone is so actively involved
and one full with laughter XP

But toward the end, 
it makes me think a lot
and such a coincidence, I saw this status post from a friend
When you are open and receptive, you get hundreds of ideas. When you close yourselves to yourselves, you only get your own little idea. We all are just small dots in the ecosystem, not center of the universe. Be open-minded and let go your ego is the winning factor!

I kept thinking did I did too much of the thinking and talking
As if I'm feeding them
and I think this is an act of disrespect
as if others can't think of something
and limit the discussion as well
because I'm so convinced and satisfied by the points that
I only wanted them to deliver the things I thought was brilliant
It could have been a debate with richer matter,
Sad case

Another thing I saw is one haunting question since long ago
What went wrong between the bridge?
The speaker thought they mentioned A&B
thought they explained it well
but for the audience they might just get A,
and they don't even understand about it.
This BREAKDOWN is serious
This is all about the way of delivery, how to make it understandable to people
which I have big difficulties in.
Few years back I might have my arm on waist 
and shout: "I did mention that! If you don't get that please listen carefully, or clear your ear wax"
but isn't debate about delivering message to people, persuade them?
If the audiences get nothing, means you say nothing.
I'm still working on it,
to make A sound like A and interpreted as A.
Huhh, communication is lifelong work man~~~



I'm still working on how to suppress the ego me
and stop my words from popping out before a mindful consideration
but things just get so smooth when I'm high lol
That's when I started to throw crap

But still very glad to see my classmates trying this out.
Hehe, there is much more fun here :p
I'm luring them to come to debate training
Merit awaits!!! Hehe
But no more at class, please!


0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Eternal flight from myself to myself All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.