0

It is more than IQ

Posted by Qi... on 02:15


Finally I'm here
After one year
Since my OT friends had their practical here
with the many stories I heard
I've wanted to be here to witness myself.

This is an coincidence
I couldn't arrange a suitable date to The Learning Connection
The pioneering special school for children with disabilty---and they have speech and OT attached
and from nowhere this place pop out
Not my ideal place for the assignment,
but still I'm there
Simply because I actually plan to visit both place in the name of one assignment :P

OMG, I saw photo of my fellow friends online
Ok la, they actually have a website for their course---The Helping Hand
with this nice verse---I am the disabled child



So this is IQ 70+, where they house more than 20 residents with intellectual disability----or IQ less than 70
As the name implied, they believe that IQ does not define all
Because all these people, they might not know how to recite ABC, 123
but they treat everyone with the same warm and sincere heart, with the same welcoming gesture

And soon, I discover my part of the story in this place.
It was really a pity,
not to mention all those kids with various form of difficulties 
but the adults, people with similar age with you, people older than you
It is too easy to imagine, if you were them
and suddenly you know why Ignorance is Bliss
Sometimes it is better to know nothing and smile with pure innocence
than struggling hard to break the wall

There is no rehabilitation services provided there but we see a dire need
For a new center, they were well-managed and received substantial public support
People sending in expensive books and toys
but after taking photo and swarming around 
People don't really know what to do, and the staff as well
It is no fun playing with them because they don't know how to play these toys
It was such a waste
because TOYS ARE EXPENSIVE!
and they need HELP, A LOT OF HELP in various aspect
Those who can't move well
Those with psychology issue
Those with neurological impairment...the shaking hand
Most of them have no language or the minimal simple speech
I could say, they need a lot of therapySSSSSS, of different kind.

But what could we say more?
For a small private-funded center, 
it is challenging enough to gather fund to cover all the basic expenses
The staff are having a hard time managing all the residents
What do you expect more when they could take good care of them?

And many thanks to Mr.C who was willing to entertain us though he is busy
He provide many insights for us
On establishment and management of the center
I could see he is really concern of the residents, when he helped them shave and tell their story with affection
and about volunteering
All these one off and come and go volunteer---only if it could be regular
Just like us

It takes more than the IQ
You need time and heart
Pour everything in and ask for nothing
As time goes, the fruit of your effort will ripen,
slowly, slowly, slowly
Hopefully


0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Eternal flight from myself to myself All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.