0

Wellness.Quality

Posted by Qi... on 14:16

Had a little school visit trip thanks to the assignment

Was little down when I could not visit The Learning Connection that I always wanted to go

but guess what? I think this is a blessing in disguise because I found another exemplary rehabilitation centre
WQ Park, which stands for Wellness and Quality, and it is called park because they want to provide a relaxing environment instead of the feeling of like visiting clinic because you are sick....and the point is, they really HAVE A PARKKK, with pond and fishes, how adorable!


Our objective of the visit was to investigate the learning processes of the special need population in different setting, but I'm kinda distracted by how awesome and comprehensive the vision of this centre is. :P

ONE STOP rehabilitation centre that houses physician, paediatrician, child neurologist, SLP, OT and PT under one roof. Phewww, the best environment for multi-disciplinary management of children with special needs.  The way they collaborate and manage a child together are just what we need!

I was particularly moved by the passion and pride when our tourguide Ms.Celvi talk about their current effort and future vision. That is when you know you are doing something right and you have the ability to do more. That amazing feeling and the dazzle from her faces just outshone everything else. I hope I will be able to talk about my career with that much pride.

From the design of the centre, you could see how much money was burned for it. The interior design, furniture and the paintingssss were so nice!!!!! But erm, that is not the main point. The infrastructure just stand out easily among all the centres I visited. They have a physiotherapy room with all the advanced devices, a neurophysiotherapy room, two very cute playroom for Occupational Therapy(I definitely want to have one in my house in future!) and an adult OT room, two rooms for speech(too few I would say) and a mini kindergarten(Early Intervention Program) for children with all sorts of disabilities.

Learned a lot from my observation in the EIP and Occupational Therapy. It is just eye-opening to see people do all sorts of things you don't know although I keep yawing sorry. First thing that amazed me so much is all those kids with ADHD, ASD, GDD blah blah can follow all the instruction and play as if they were programmed to do so even though they still have their own traits and behaviour. I just want to bow at them and ask WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM? TEACH ME! The OT was more than fascinating. They let the child play with all sorts of stuff, roll a child on huge ball, wrap a child in yoga mat, ask them to jump etc etc. Every is so cute and you wonder, what are they targeting? It's like a layman watching Speech Therapist in action I guess. But the kakak there were so nice and explain everything to us in details. :)
Quote of the day, "Attention is the outcome, sensory is the key". SHOULD REFER ALL THE CHILD WITH ATTENTION AND BEHAVIOUR PROBLEM TO OT before starting speech therapy. Huhhh, hope our referral system are this well-connected.

It might be another private centre that make your eyeball drop when you saw their price list but I guess it is all about market and supply. There are this population with special need that demand for such service and it is so scarce that there are only few centres cater to them. I do believe their quality of service are worth the price, just that there are so many people out there that could not access to this service due to financial issues. But at least this is a first step, maybe some think that we should further develop existing special education entities but I think it is a good thing for the medical and professional healthcare community to take the initiative to provide the service they think the patient needed the most.

Heard they are expanding and going to have branches in Penang and Johor soon. The end goal is to have branches in every state of Malaysia. So I will wait till the Perak branch is opened lol.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Eternal flight from myself to myself All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.