0

Power of words

Posted by Qi... on 02:50

Finally finish my first book of the semester.
Strictly speaking it is my second book of the year
and it's Mac now!
So sorry to my booksssssssssssss in the shelf *big bow and hugsss*

Miss those days when I can finish five books per week
and always try to exceed library's quota of borrowing
Yea that was primary school but
I just love those moments when I can just immersed myself in any story while lying on any surface, be it sofa, pillow, bed or the floor and let time drifted by
That is how an only child spend her afternoon in a house without air-con or Internet

Back to the topic,
this is another Amy Tan. My second one.


Erm was attracted to her cause she gave a really awesome(now I reconsider that) Ted Talk
So I was like okay, so she is international best-seller and she talk well!
Probably she wrote well too.
And as a matter of fact, she did.

It's just that is weird watching a half-Asian portray Asian, in English btw
It's like having everything you are familiar in a different form.
Like burger with rice bun. Might be nice or even taste better but just not right.
You always wonder how people translate ghost story or the philosophy into English
She did quite a good job and you can see how detailed she went into her research
but it just sounded WEIRD and probably that's why I couldn't relate well with the story or character even with all the vivid narration
With all the elements you need in a touching book-relationship of all sorts, humanity in its worst or best, mystery, Asian mystery, adventure, misery, love, happy ending(?!)
Okay, now I'm thinking why am I being so demanding on her
But I just don't like the persistent presence of an old malicious nagging highly superstitious always cursing mother
Maybe that is her way of remembering her mother but that annoys me. A lot.

Anyway, the highlight here is actually the transcript of an interview with her at the back
She really makes me rethink a lot about the profession of writing
She talked about the research, the need of meticulous in depth research and to some extent, research with your footprint.
Walk through the place and feel everything, the soil, the air, the building
She talked about working from 9am-7pm DAILY
Remind me of the word of 建宁老师from FIR
Being an artist is not as free-style as the public imagine or anything on the screen, it requires DISCIPLINE, persistent enduring discipline that push you through the delivery process of the product
Guess there are just no easy way in any path
No genius, no sudden adrenaline of inspiration and no sudden sparks and tah dah moments

But somehow I prefer it this way
To put your feet through the way and sweat through it
The process of work for what you want is the one to be enjoyed and lived
Amy said she loved research and even done excessive research on tiny tinky bits
Think about it
You can just read on any random things fun things without any explanation just for it
You can be expert on art one year, animal another, depending on the theme of your writing
How exciting!
Just like actor or actress, in every drama, they lead a different life with different stories
For me, that's the most fascinating part of the profession, living several life in just one turn (y)

Winston Churchill once acclaimed writer are one of the best profession because "words are the only thing that last forever"
The power of words also does
Just like this one

I know everyone read this for English during SPM(btw I just love English literature class in high school)
But this is the first love poem I really appreciate
It makes me melt inside when our English teacher explain this to us

Every fair from fair sometimes decline,
but thy eternal summer shall not fade, no, not even under the threat of Death
because it is eternalized in this masterpiece of work
As long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long live this, and this give life to thee

Sorry I had to copy and retype it, there is no better way to reword it
I think that is the best gift a girl could ever had and the best manifestation of one's love
Eternal imprint of her beauty and their love <3
It literally bring me to that Awhhh and holding hand together moment
Hope it has that same miraculous effect on you too :D
Few lines of scrabbles, passed through centuries and touched souls of countless naive young girl like me
Think, how nonchalant it seemed yet how powerful it is
Now you know why words count XP




So my act of spending my before clinic weekend writing nonsense shouldn't be seen as that much of a sin I guess? =p *act innocent*

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Eternal flight from myself to myself All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.