0

A noisy day.

Posted by Qi... on 23:18

So finally I had my first experience of a play group. With children with hearing impairment.
Ironically it is not in our own clinic
Anyway I saw the post by senior in the Speechies group
I was like, yeah I missed the last AVT program and I should totally go for this one
Btw I think this AVT name was totally a hook
Nothing much to do with Auditory-Verbal Therapy really
It was a parent support group event
So they invited some speakers to share about techniques to communicate with HI children
and the parents need some babysitter obviously
So here we are to conduct some meaningful functional therapeutic activities for the little angles

Surprisingly all these children with hearing impairment and their siblings were so lively
The best adjectives for them is noisy
They were running and shouting around when we reached there.
The true face of all these monsters lol
Their excitement level so high I don't know how to handle nia

Anyway
Glad that I went for this event even though it is the day after our coursenight
Was totally exhausted and drained off
Was really worried that I would overslept
(I basically missed every 8am lecturer that week)
But good that my brain recognize the importance of this thing and wake me up on time
Also really thanks to jp who willing to accompany me(im not sure is it entirely by self-will or she is just too soft-hearted :p )

Glad to see an old senior
She was so warm and even introduced me as someone who helped her a lot in her thesis
lol I think you got the wrong one
I was the session helper in the thesis project for two times only I guess
It was very precious experiences because I never saw any children with cleft lip and palate since then
Too bad no chance to explore if I will like this population
I only remember therapy with CLP kids involve a lot of pinching nose lol

All these volunteer thingy.
You forgot what you did after some time.
What you learnt.
All you remember is that feeling.
Doing something new. Talking with parents.
Having fun with these kids(Yea all the hair tangled moments will turn into fun in your memories)
That satisfaction. Just that alone is enough.

So for this day we went to KL Library
(Yes there is a KL library and it was quite pretty but cant see the book, just like our national library
Can never understand why they like to hide the books
but finally we saw the I LOVE KL logo! Too bad cant take photo)
The session wasnt really planned and the kids werent really predictable
So basically we were kindergarten teachers for one day
With all these springy jumpy kids the thing I did the most whole day is pull them back and ask them to sit lol
and bringing children to washroom >.<
Nanny in daycare center. The parents peeking in during their break just make me feel totally babysitter.

Anyway we had fun with all the activities
Really trained my interaction skills and play skills plus language stimulation skill
But dont really have chance to practice all the techniques of acoustic highlighting and stuff
Because it is simply too noisy
Sang nursery rhymes for N times till I am literally out of breath
The kids like London Bridge so much and they form such a cute train
Best thing is they liked the story telling part
They were so engrossed and so excited when we asked them to act out the story haha
I had fun being the actor as well. Shout and run like I am really chased by a bear. Maybe I will be calmer when I see a real bear lol.
But yea it is good to throw off everything and just have fun

Came to think that I actually wrote that I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher during my SECONDARY school.
I must lost my rational on that time. This idea is insane.
Yea not primary so not naive thoughts and I kinda surprised my Malay teacher
She was seriously concerned about my career choice and wanted to give me a counselling session lol
I still think I love kids
But they drained away your energy so fast!

No matter what you always learn something from others.
They were actually much better than what I expected.
For example I thought this little kid who did not talked at all was severely delayed
Siapa tahu after mingled with me he was super verbal and even requested to do commands with 5 item!
LOL I also can't remember 5 things at once this boy really pushing the limit huh

They might be happy normal growing lively children in any other way
But still they are living with a device.
Yes to the minimum extent at least they are fortunate enough to get HA or CI early in life
But that device brings them more than increased hearing ability.
With it comes the label. and a lot of perceptions from others
Being a SLP-to-be and learned so much about aural rehabilitation and cochlear implant but
I cant get accustomed to the view of a device hanging around the back of your ear. Or on top of your head.
I am grateful for existence of such wonderful technology but still
Looking at the electronic device that needs extra care and battery for sustenance dangling around
I cant helped to feel worried for them. For the uncertainty and unreliability of the device.
Every 15 minutes I need to help a child to wear their hearing aid or cochlear implant device cause it fall off
Nothing can hang on their ear for long when they run and jump like this
But I dont really have a lot of experience with hearing aids and some of the devices are emitting feedback
and I was like......did I put it on correctly? Do I need to adjust?

Can't imagine how the parents need to take care of all these
Since most of the kids are not mature enough to take care of themselves
This is a full-time commitment
You know having a kid with disability require extra commitment
and these parents are definite the A star student cause they even attended this extra special class
Thumbs up!

Well, my SV commented about me being ignorant of the situation of parents at home
This is a good chance for me to have a glimpse of the family functioning
Just managed to took a very small peek and had some random chats with the parents
But it is better than nothing
Gave me a more realistic picture of how things going at least

What shines the most throughout the event was----Sibling love.
Looking at the protective brother and sister of the children with hearing impairment.
I was so touched.
They literally form a wall beside their loved one
Protect them defend them and voice out for them
Because they know they need to be strong to protect their little siblings
They looked so mature and motherly/fatherly
They were like, *shove strangers away* dont walk near, dont harm him/her, this is my family!
Even though those little kids are spoilt and like to throw tantrum but....
They were in the "this is my family so only I can scold them mode.
You say one thing and you are dead."
That aura is just pure love. Awwwww <3 <3 <3
I believe this is a blessing in disguise.
May this sibling love prevails and persist



One day the protected one will grow up and be the pillar of support in times of need.





Will have a playgroup for HI children in coming two weeks and we need to plan for it now.
Not sure if I am really looking forward to it(study week and exam first >.<)
but I hope I can see some familiar faces =)
Will miss you kiddo

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Eternal flight from myself to myself All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.